- 1 What does the term in the hole mean?
- 2 What is after in the hole in baseball?
- 3 What is the 7 hole in baseball?
- 4 What are the holes in softball?
- 5 What does deep in the hole mean?
- 6 What is the 2 hole in baseball?
- 7 Why is it called on deck?
- 8 What does 4 hole mean in baseball?
- 9 What does each spot in the batting order mean?
- 10 What do you call the center of the baseball?
- 11 Why your best hitter should bat second?
- 12 Why is it called a baseball diamond?
- 13 What is the 5 6 hole in softball?
- 14 What is the 5.5 hole?
- 15 Why is third base 5 and shortstop 6?
What does the term in the hole mean?
1. In debt; in trouble, especially financial trouble. For example, Joan is too extravagant; she’s always in the hole, or Buying all these Christmas presents will put us in the hole for the next few months. [Colloquial; early 1800s] Also see in a bind.
What is after in the hole in baseball?
1. This is a term that is used in baseball and softball to describe the batter who hits after the batter who is currently in the on-deck circle. 2. This term is also used to describe an unfavorable count for either a pitcher or a hitter.
What is the 7 hole in baseball?
Very often the #7 hitter is a catcher, commonly the slowest baserunner on a team whose lack of speed would contribute to a large number of double plays higher in the order even if he is a good hitter (Bill Freehan). The eighth batter is often a good contact hitter, and can be used as a back-up #2 hitter.
What are the holes in softball?
When a player throws a pass bounce and it goes under and through an opposing player’s legs, it’s called a 5-hole. When the term is used is softball, it means hitting the ball up the middle or straight at the pitcher.
What does deep in the hole mean?
AMERICAN, INFORMAL. If a person or organization is in the hole, they owe money to someone else. The company is $4 billion in the hole. By the time they ask for help, these families are so deep in the hole, it’s too late.
What is the 2 hole in baseball?
#2. The second batter, most often just referred to as in the two-hole, is usually a contact hitter with the ability to bunt or get a hit. His main goal is to move the leadoff man into scoring position. Often, these hitters are fairly quick, competent baserunners and tend to avoid grounding into double plays.
Why is it called on deck?
As you can probably guess, to be”on deck” was to be in the main area of ship, aboveboard, and to be “in the hold” was to be in a holding place below deck.
What does 4 hole mean in baseball?
The 4 hole (or sometimes referred to as the 3-4 hole) is the area between the second baseman and the first baseman. Those are the only two holes that are described this way.
What does each spot in the batting order mean?
The batting order or line-up is the designated order in which the players for a given team will bat. Before the game, each manager provides the head umpire with a list of the players who will be starting the game and the order in which they will bat – the starting line-up, as written on a line-up card.
What do you call the center of the baseball?
English Language Learners Definition of center field: the part of the baseball outfield between right field and left field also: the position of the player defending center field.
Why your best hitter should bat second?
Batting your best hitter #2 places them in more positions to get on base and drive in runs over the course of the season.
Why is it called a baseball diamond?
Another name for the baseball field is the “diamond” because of the shape of the infield. The infield is the area from the grass line in to home plate. It includes all the bases and is where most of the action in the game of baseball takes place. The bases are perhaps the most important part of the baseball field.
What is the 5 6 hole in softball?
When you hear “she hit it through the 5-6 hole” that means the batter hit it between the third basemen and shortstop. It is called the 5-6 hole because the third baseman is the 5th position on the field and the shortstop is in the 6th position.
What is the 5.5 hole?
The other is 5.5, a reference to the hole between third base and shortstop. Gwynn was so proficient at hitting a single through that hole that, on the final weekend of his career, the Padres stenciled 19 in right field and 5.5 on the dirt between third base and shortstop.
Why is third base 5 and shortstop 6?
It didn’t seem to make sense – the positions in the infield were numbered from first base to third base, except shortstop was number 6 while third base was number 5. Why is shortstop number 6? The shortstop is the sixth position because they were originally a shallow outfielder.